This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is an elite travel rewards credit card, so many readers want to know how hard is it to get the American Express Platinum? You might be surprised at what credit score is needed for the American Express Platinum. Even though the Amex Platinum card has some of the best travel rewards, it isn’t reserved only for travelers with the best credit score.
The Credit Score Needed for the American Express Platinum
To apply for The Platinum Card® from American Express, you need to have a good or excellent credit score. This means you need a credit score of at least 700.
The average applicant has a score of 715. Although, some applicants have been approved with a credit score as low as 643.
There are several variables that can affect American Express’ decision to approve your application. It can depend on your current income, debt-to-income ratio, and your previous credit card history.
If you have a credit score in the upper 600s or low 700s but have a decent credit history your odds of getting approved are higher.
How Hard is it to Get the American Express Platinum
If you have the credit score needed for The Platinum Card® from American Express, you will enjoy some of the best travel rewards when you are approved.
For those that don’t want to pay the $550 annual fee (See Rates & Fees) on the Amex Platinum card, the Chase Sapphire Reserve® is a good premium travel rewards credit card option. You get a $300 travel credit, 3x points for travel and dining, passes to airport lounges, and a fee credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry. This card is full of Sapphire Reserve benefits with an annual fee of $450.
Here are a few highlights of The Platinum Card® from American Express that you can enjoy.
Welcome Bonus for the Amex Platinum
Earn 60,000 bonus Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months of card membership. This bonus can be worth $600 in reward flights and easily offsets the $550 annual fee. Plus, you also get to accumulate points from your purchases to meet the bonus requirements.
Keep in mind that if you have received a bonus offer for the Amex Platinum in the past, you will not qualify for future offers. But, you can qualify for welcome offers from other American Express credit cards.
The American Express Platinum is ideal for frequent fliers. In fact, this card is the quickest way to earn miles from plane ticket purchases because you earn five points per $1. Below are all the ways you can earn Membership Rewards points.
- 5 points per $1 spent on airline purchases directly from the carrier or using Amex Travel
- 5 points per $1 on all hotel stays reserved on Amex Travel
- 1 point per $1 on all remaining purchases
Full Amex Platinum Benefits
You will also enjoy the additional travel benefits that many frequent travelers love as they have unprecedented access to airport lounge networks and receive an annual airline fee credit.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
If you travel frequently and can take advantage of the Airline Fee Credit and Uber credits, the Platinum Card from American Express will be really valuable to you.
Summary on the Credit Score Needed for Amex Platinum
The Platinum Card® from American Express is an excellent option if you want to earn the most rewards from flying. Plus, the most valuable benefits are for frequent fliers. The credit score needed for the American Express Platinum might not be as high as you expected. Provided you have a good or excellent score, it can be well worth your time to apply.
All credit score data used in this post has been provided by Credit Karma.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.